[Stackless-dev] Lots of changes - need more unittests

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Apr 20 03:06:29 CEST 2004

Dear developers,

as you might have noticed, I have done a lot of changes
in the dev branch. The soft-switch protocol has changed
a lot, in order to be cleaner and to support a move
towards thunks and greenlets. This was quite a bulk of work,
and there is still a lot of things to do.

The pickling has become more compatible, since I don't rename
types, any longer. Instead, they all end up in the builtins.
I'm not sure if this was a good decision, but finally, it
is somehow logical. I tried to circumvent this by involving
copy_reg, but it didn't help much.
I'm still patching the types to support pickling. I don't think
this is too bad. One bad spot is the existance of the modict.
I think to remove it, tomorrow.
Another thing is cPickle. I added a way to overcome its recursive
behavior, by simply using hard-switching. I think this kind of
treatment is what it deserves. Fortunately, unpickling *is*
non-recursive, already. I recognized that late, after I had
supplied a patch, already. :-) Well, shit happens.

Since I have unlimited pickling, now, I could drop all the changes
to tracebacks and implement their pickling using simple recursion.
I will probably simplify tasklet pickling the same way, soon,
but this is less urgent, since tasklets are my own.

I was very happy to see a new unittest from Stefan Drees, and
I'd really appreciate to see some more, very soon.

There is also some lack in testing the Stackless API, which
is meant to be used by extension writers. A special area
is the case where Stackless internals are called without
initializing Stackless. This should always work, but I need
some decent tests for this. Maybe someone would like to
provide a module for this?

cheers -- chris