[Stackless] Re: [Python-Dev] Stackless pages

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Mon Nov 6 20:16:24 CET 2000

Skip wrote:

>     Gordon> If we can't overcome "ew - a call might not ever return" there's
>     Gordon> not much sense in writing the PEPs.
>
> I disagree.  The value in writing a stackless PEP is that those who would
> dismiss the idea out-of-hand or those who think they understand it but
> really don't might gain some insight into what's really going on.

That's what the pages are about: here's some of the things
you can do with this stuff (uthreads are already well covered
elsewhere). Unfortunately, my web site stats show that people
who start the pages outnumber those who finish them 100:3.
Page 1 is nothing but hand waving. Pages 2 thru 5 are
progressive demonstrations of the power of this stuff, but since
they're all executable, they show the warts as well. Almost no
one gets to page 6, which is the only "real" example of the lot
(and you need to download it to really see how neatly this stuff
can work).

The PEPs can't hand wave. The stackless PEP needs a
detailed description of the intended implementation - and
Christian isn't there yet. The generator / coroutine PEP needs
to describe a saner API and we're not there yet, either.

> I can't help but think, "wow, microthreads sound like they're very efficient
> and offer a real chance of providing portable threading for Python".  The
> route to mainstream acceptance of stackless and realization of this thought
> will be through a PEP.  I wouldn't give up at this point.

I am by no means giving up. I just don't want to discuss
possible coroutine API's in front of torch-bearing villagers
upset about the lack of a stack...

- Gordon