[Stackless] Continuations in Forth

Just van Rossum just at letterror.com
Tue Oct 31 14:18:28 CET 2000

At 1:44 PM +0100 31-10-2000, Dirk-Ulrich Heise wrote:
>One more word:
>I think it's unfortunate (difficult to understand)
>to say that "a continuation represents the entire future
>of a function",Cameron Laird describes it this
>way  -- wouldn't it be much more feasible for the
>typical programmers brain to say:
>"A continuation contains an instruction pointer
>and the values of the local variables, so that we
>can continue the execution of a function".
>Ok, it sound much less magical to us, but it
>will sound still magical enough to non-nerds so
>that we're not in the danger of being understood
>by ordinary people ;-).

Actually, with Chris' continuations, the _values_ of the local variables
aren't stored with the continuation: if another continuation changes the
value of a variable in the same scope, this change is visible for the first
continuation whenever it continues. I don't know if Scheme behaves the
same, but in my experience it's sensible behavior.

Just