[Stackless] Stackless for Palm Python port

Just van Rossum just at letterror.com
Mon Oct 9 09:53:05 CEST 2000

At 7:35 PM -0700 08-10-2000, Jeff Collins wrote:
>2)  The current uthread.py module is quite large (approx 1500 LOC) and
>will consume a large chunk of dynamic heap on import alone.  I read that
>there are plans to convert this to C.  Will this happen any time soon?

I'm personally not going to spend any time on it until we know where the
next big stackless revision is heading. While experimenting with a
co-routine module in C, I found that context switching using continuations
causes quite a bit of overhead: a piece of example code from Gordon ran
twice as fast with my C module than with using continuations directly (and
it did more than just context switching...). Since micro-thread context
switching currently is also quite expensive, I expect a uthread scheduler
written in C that does _not_ use continuations to be a lot more efficient,
too. Continuations Tismer-style are simply too powerful...

Just