[Stackless] random admin thing

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Oct 10 21:14:10 CEST 2000

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 02:03:35PM -0400, Will Ware wrote:
> I notice that if I try to reply to a message from the list, the
> reply is directed to the sender rather than the list. I assume
> this is due to the absence of a "Reply-to:" header in the
> outgoing emails from the listbot. Is this configurable? It'd be
> convenient to just reply to things, and not need to think about it.

It's not due to the absense of the Reply-To header, it's due to the settings
of your mailer. (And it's a mailer that doesn't include an X-Mailer header,
so I can't even see which one that is ! :-) Most mailers have a
'group-reply' and 'direct-reply' options. Good mailers (ie, mutt) also have
'list-reply'. 'group-reply' replies to everyone on the original From: and
Cc: lists. 'direct-reply' only replies to the From: header (or the Reply-To:
header, if any), and list-reply does some magic to see what are lists and
replies only to that/those.

Reply-To headers can be added, but they break other things. Replying to the
original author, without sending replies to the list, gets harder. Either
you need a 'direct-reply-and-ignore-reply-to' button (and likewise for
group/list-reply) or you need to manually cut&paste the address you want to
reply to.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>