[Stackless] Welcome to the Stackless Python List

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Tue Oct 10 17:50:07 CEST 2000

Robin Becker wrote:

> In article <39E07425.18CC644E at appliedbiometrics.com>, Christian Tismer
> <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com> writes
> >Now it is time to start with discussions. For me, the most
> >urgent question to ask is: What do you consider the highest
> >priority task to be done? Upgrade to Stackless 1.2, upgrade
> >to Python 2.0, bugfixes, CVS access for collaborative
> >development, more documentation? Other proposals?
>
> I would place priorities as
>
> Python2.0, Stackless 1.2
> more docs, bugfixes
> CVS

This fits nearly what I'm heading to. But Stackless 1.2 was
just waiting for a fix of leaks due to exceptions. After
I understood how they *really* work, it was quite easy
to keep them from leaking, and therefore 1.2 is now
published.
Next thing will be Python 2.0 of course.

> but perhaps there's a constraint as without CVS some of the others won't
> go so fast.
>
> I'm not using Stackless in any production work, but I think it would be
> useful in a number of contexts which are currently handled badly. The
> microthreads are very cool and I would like to use iteration functions
> defined using the semi-continuations. I would only start using such
> features for real if they go into the core.

The core thing is hard to achieve, but would be in fact the
best thing to have. It needs much work. Gordon's PEPs will
take some time. The implementation will be very different
from 1.2, with much more changes to the python core, in order
to make the extended features' implementation much simpler
(and of course a little faster).
Also the necessary changes need to be split into a set of
cascading patches which are easy to understand.
This is a lot of work, and more core code is involved.

My problem is that I didn't go this way yet, to keep the core
changes at the minimum, together with my update efforts. This
was a good decision since Stackless is over a year old and still
not included. Having many files to maintain would be much
more painful.
If I now change the policy, do lots of redesign of the core,
and *then* I get still not included, the situation becomes
worse. If that happens, my only chance to continue with
Stackless would be to ask a couple of helpers who work
with me together to keep up with new Python versions.
Anyway this is a bad vision which I fear a little. SLP has
already cost me too much.
But I will do it anyway, probably :-)

ciao - chris