[Stackless] interesting discussion on Scheme and continuations

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at beopen.com
Wed Oct 18 01:03:34 CEST 2000

There is an interesting discussion on continuations on the Scheme
Request for Implementation mailing list (SRFIs as something like
PEPs).  The thread index is here:
http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-18/mail-archive/threads.html#00003

The thread seems particularly relevant given the current questions
about how and whether the stackless changes should be incorporated
into Python 2.1.

Matthias Felleisen asked the reverse question about Scheme.
http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-18/mail-archive/msg00013.html

>May I ask a heretical question (especially from me):
>
> How many of you use call/cc and continuation objects
> (rather than mimicing continuations with lambda's)
> in large programs? Do "we" really use it to implement
> coroutines and backtracking and threads and whatever?
>
> Is call/cc necessary for Scheme?
>
>[Don't shoot. I wrote many papers on all aspects of call/cc
>but now that we're building large systems we should revisit
>these questions. I'd love to be wrong here.]
>
>-- Matthias

Jeremy