[Stackless] Q2: Uthread's 'Thread' class

Ixokai ixokai at myseraph.org
Thu Apr 12 08:55:32 CEST 2001

questions, it was very much helpful. :)

    In my last mail, no one answered my question regarding classes, and I
suspect that is because I didn't actually phrase it as a very good question
:)

>From the microthread documentation: "When threads are created using the
Thread class, the first argument of the thread's function will be the thread
instance"

It gives sample code which basically is basically:

mythreads = []
def foo(instance, num):
    uninteresting_math = num * 2
    printw('<' + repr(instance) + ' ' + repr(num) + '>')

for n in range(100):
    t = uthread.Thread(foo, int(30 * uthread.random()))
    mythreads.append(t)
uthread.run()

etc. Now. I really don't see what's going on :) Looking into uthread.py's
source tells me that Thread's init method takes at least two arguments; a
function to call, a 'name' (???), and any args/kwargs you're going to pass
the function.

It appears as if you are not susposed to sub-class Thread, but instead just
instantiate a Thread class and pass it a function you wish it to call, and
any arguments you wish it to pass, in addition to the thread's own instance.
Am I reading that correctly?

Now the wall that I am hitting: we are passing in two arguments in the
sample code: a function, and a number to be an argument for that function.
What the heck is the 'name' susposed to be, and how is it not missing in the
above code?

Thankee.

--Ix