[Python-Dev] Re: [Stackless] comments on PEP 219

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Fri Mar 16 08:02:08 CET 2001

[Samuele Pedroni]
> I was thinking about stuff like generators used everywhere,
> but that is maybe just uninformed panicing. They are the
> kind of stuff that make programmers addictive <wink>.

Jython is to CPython as Jcon is to Icon, and *every* expression in Icon is "a
generator".

    http://www.cs.arizona.edu/icon/jcon/

is the home page, and you can get a paper from there detailing the Jcon
implementation.  It wasn't hard, and it's harder in Jcon than it would be in
Jython because Icon generators are also tied into an ubiquitous backtracking
scheme ("goal-directed evaluation").

Does Jython have an explicit object akin to CPython's execution frame?  If
so, 96.3% of what's needed for generators is already there.

At the other end of the scale, Jcon implements Icon's co-expressions (akin to
coroutines) via Java threads.