[Stackless] Re: [Python-Dev] comments on PEP 219

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Tue Mar 13 23:44:22 CET 2001

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   CT> Maybe I'm repeating myself, but I'd like to clarify: I do not
>   CT> plan to introduce anything that forces anybody to change her
>   CT> code. This is all about extending the current capabilities.
>
> The problem with this position is that C code that uses the old APIs
> interferes in odd ways with features that depend on stackless,
> e.g. the __xxx__ methods.[*]  If the old APIs work but are not
> compatible, we'll end up having to rewrite all our extensions so that
> they play nicely with stackless.

My idea was to keep all interfaces as they are, add a stackless flag,
and add stackless versions of all those calls. These are used when
they exist. If not, the old, recursive calls are used. If we can
find such a flag, we're fine. If not, we're hosed.
There is no point in forcing everybody to play nicely with Stackless.

> If we change the core and standard extensions to use stackless
> interfaces, then this style will become the standard style.  If the
> interface is simple, this is no problem.  If the interface is complex,
> it may be a problem.  My point is that if we change the core APIs, we
> place a new burden on extension writers.

My point is that if we extend the core APIs, we do not place
a burden on extension writers, given that we can do the extension
in a transparent way.

> Jeremy
>
>     [*] If we fix the type-class dichotomy, will it have any effect on
>     the stackful nature of some of these C calls?

I truely cannot answer this one.

ciao - chris

Kaunstr. 26                  :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net/
14163 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/