[Stackless] "escaping the event loop"

Sam M. Rushing srushing at ironport.com
Wed Aug 14 20:24:29 CEST 2002

[code]

> Please, see this extremely simple event loop. This is a single
> tasklet that stays waiting for mouse events, until it gets
> blown by a SystemExit exception.
> This is quite revealing. Now I can have program state in my
> PC counter, as it was 20 years ago. The handler feels like
> a main program.

In my secret past as GUI developer, this was definitely on my
list of things to explore - using continuations/coroutines for
UI stuff.  There's a Scheme guy out there - Mathew Fuchs - who
did some work in this direction, I've been handing out pointers
to his paper for years:

 http://www.cs.nyu.edu/phd_students/fuchs/

"Escaping the event loop: an alternative control structure for
multi-threaded GUIs":
  http://www.cs.nyu.edu/phd_students/fuchs/gui.ps

I think eXene (X implementation for SML/CML) is written this way.

-Sam