[Stackless] http server experiment

Paul Sheer psheer at icon.co.za
Wed Aug 21 23:41:18 CEST 2002

> I put together an HTTP server prototype

its beautiful

*sniff*

it will go down in history (i mean this!)

-paul

> using Christian Tismer's excellent stackless python I'd like to
> have interested people look at it and try itb.
>
> It will reside here, until such time as Robin Becker decides
> he needs to delete it :)
>
> ftp://ftp.reportlab.com/tmp/stackless_experiments.zip (temporarily!)
>
> The main point of interest is:
>
> 1) it doesn't use operating system threads.
> 2) it doesn't block.
> 3) it doesn't break each operation into 5 million little method calls.
>
> That is to say, The operation to send a file (without blocking even if
> the file is large)
> looks like this:
>
> while there is data: read some data; send some data
>
> This is in stark contrast to the standard "state machine" approach.
> Also, since I'm not using operating system threads I can minutely
> control the scheduling without difficulties (and have less overhead, I
> think).
>
> Thanks again Christian!
>
>    -- Aaron Watters
>
> ps: see notes.txt though :(
>
> ===
> A young women from new jersey sat next to a young english woman on an
> airplane.
>
> jersey girl: So, where're you from?
> brit girl: I'm from a place where we know not to end sentences with
> prepositions.
> jersey girl: So, where're you from, bitch?

Paul Sheer Consulting IT Services . . Tel . . . +27 (0)21 6869634
Email . . . psheer at icon.co.za . . . . . . Pager . . . 088 0057245
Linux development, cryptography, recruitment,  support,  training
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer . . . . http://rute.sourceforge.net
L I N U X . . . . . . . . . . . .  The Choice of a GNU Generation