[Stackless] Re: [Python-Dev] Stackless Design Q.

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Feb 21 01:59:46 CET 2002

Jeff Senn <senn at maya.com>:

> That may cause many more tasklets to be generated, run, and
> destroyed that you don't ever see ...  recursions/function calls in
> f, and only-Christian-knows what else...  so the transfer value
> mechanism might as well be built in.

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that every function
call creates a new tasklet? That stack frame == tasklet?  If that's
the case, then we're back to continuations! But I don't think so,
because Christian said that a tasklet contains "a chain of frames",
not just one frame.

> 2 -- the scheduling algorithm will be hard to tune (we'll probably
>      *at least* need tasklet priority...)  Maybe there should still
>      be a "timeslice" function so an in-Python scheduler can be written?

The huge variety of possible scheduling policies is all the more
reason *not* to make scheduling part of the core functionality.
The user should be free to implement his own scheduling layer
on top of the primitives if he doesn't like what is provided.