[Stackless] Ann: Stackless Python is DEAD! Long live Stackless Python

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Sat Jan 19 00:17:46 CET 2002

#######################################

              Announcement:

#######################################

The end of an era has come:
---------------------------
Stackless Python, in the form provided upto Python 2.0, is DEAD.

I am abandoning the whole implementation.

A new era has begun:
--------------------
A completely new implementation is in development for
Python 2.2 and up which gives you the following features:

- There are no restrictions any longer for uthread/coroutine
    switching. Switching is possible at *any* time, in *any*
    context.

- There are no significant changes to the Python core any
    longer. The new patches are of minimum size, and they
    will probably survive unchanged until Python 3.0 .

- Maintenance work for Stackless Python is reduced to the
    bare minimum. There is no longer a need to incorporate
    Stackless into the standard, since there is no work to
    be shared.

- Stackless breaks its major axiom now. It is no longer
    platform independent, since it *does* modify the C stack.
    I will support all Intel platforms by myself. For other
    platforms, I'm asking for volunteers.

* The basic elements of Stackless are now switchable chains
    of frames. We have to define an interface that turns these
    chains into microthreads and coroutines.

Everybody is invited to come to the Stackless mailing
list and discuss the layout of this new design.
Especially we need to decide about (*).

see you there - chris

Kaunstr. 26                  :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net/
14163 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/