[Stackless] stack copying

Sam Rushing rushing at nightmare.com
Tue Jan 22 08:09:16 CET 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 19:14, Russ Cox wrote:
> This sounds terribly inefficient.
>
> Happily, it sounds like it's only necessary to
> switch between two contexts with differing C call
> stacks, and that those are somewhat rare (e.g.,
> one such time is when one context is inside
> apply while the other is not).
>
> Is that true?

I would think that (especially with such a shallow bit of stack) it
wouldn't really be noticeable in a VM.  This technique is used to
implement call/cc in a lot of Scheme implementations...

ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/scheme-repository/doc/pubs/stack-gc.ps.gz

The other popular option is to make everything heap-allocated, like
SML/NJ and Chicken (and alas, our dear departed Original Recipe
Stackless).

-Sam
[yeah, I know I didn't answer your question. Only Mr Tismer can do that
8^)]