[Stackless] Max OS X build

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Sat Jun 29 12:25:12 CEST 2002

Richard Cooper wrote:
> Looking over the archives I see that back in March, Just van Rossum pointed
> out a problem with the Mac OS X version of stackless
>
> % ./python.exe PCbuild/tasktest.py

> Bus error
> %
>
> I checked out the code from CVS a few days ago and this problem still
> exists. Has there been any progress toward a solution? I would offer to help
> but my knowledge of PPC assembler is non-existent ;-)

The problem is that the PPC implementation fails
to do anything about the register windows.
The funny (but obvious) thing is, that Stackless
works quite fine for the "stackless" part: That is,
simply moving stack slices away to allow for deep
recursion works, since the program flow isn't changed,
the register windows contain the correct values.

Not so for the interesting part: Switching tasklets
crashes Python, of course.

Solution: Find somebody who can correct the PPC
implementation, or I have to find such a machine,
learn the assembler and do it by myself :-)

ciao - chris