[Stackless] Asyncronous IO (Was: Re: question about stackless)

Sam M. Rushing srushing at ironport.com
Wed Jun 12 20:02:13 CEST 2002

The idea isn't to hard-code support for a particular event system,
but to have a feature set in the scheduler that can take advantage
of the features provided by the best of the current crop of event
API's.

It'd be nice if we had a system where someone could cleanly drop in
support
for (say) Win32's various API's (like completion ports) and not have to
re-architect the scheduler to take advantage of some extra feature or
performance tweak provided.

For example, the kqueue() interfaces have a nice way of returning
information along with a triggered event - e.g. if you're waiting on a
listening socket, a 'ready for read' event will tell you how many
sockets
are in the queue - this is something that select() and poll cannot do.

-Sam