[Stackless] Question about channels

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Thu Oct 17 20:18:35 CEST 2002

Stephan Diehl wrote:
>>>As far as I understand channels, they are always blocking, both with
>>>reading and writing. Is there a possibility to make the channels
>>>nonblocking?
>>
>>I was thinking of adding a non-blocking version of the
>>send/receive calls, but didn't make up my mind to
>>implement them, yet.
>>
>>You can easily simulate it by asking whether the
>>channel is waiting for input (ch.balance < 0)
>>or output (ch.balance > 0).
>

> Ah, that's what "balance" is for. Makes sense to me :-)
>
> Christian, somehow, I'm missing a bit of documentation. I know that writing
> documentation is a major pain in the a..., but it must be done eventually.

I agree, but how about reading the docstring?

Well, maybe not everybody is used to the docstrings
of attributes, which are accessed by the class.
Here how it works:

 >>> channel().__class__.balance.__doc__
'the number of tasklets waiting to send (>0) or receive (<0).'

> Have you ever thought of installing a Wiki about Stackless? There we could
> all contribute snippets of documentation, example code, etc.

That's a good idea. In addition, there is a book planned.

> And the good thing for you: you don't have to write the stackless bible (1500
> pages) all by yourself :-)

thanks - chris