[Stackless] parallel processing

Richard Emslie rxe at ukshells.co.uk
Wed Oct 9 16:41:10 CEST 2002

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Stephan Diehl wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to stackless and new to the list (hi chris). I just played aound a
> little so far.
> I've a question regarding the greater picture of all of that. The features of
> stackless (besides being stackless :-) come from the background of parallel
> computing and network computing. So far, Python seems to be more of a single
> processor language (GIL). Are there any plans or thoughts about building a
> parallel python, or some framework that dispatches tasklets to free resources
> (on the same machine or a remote computer)?

I'm working on an object database called Odin which effectively does
the above (plus a little more).  At the moment it is not even in
alpha and requires a rewrite of the object schema (was XML Schema) before
the parallel framework can be brought into operation.  Odin has a
microkernel / message passing design and will take care of all the object
/ tasklet locking, transparent communication (with unix domain sockets /
UDP / myrinet bindings), etc.

It would be interested to know if there are any other such projects.  If
anyone is interested in Odin (it's just a hobby right now), lets us know.

Incidentally, I think that some work is required on thread pickling before
dispatching of tasklets can work (chris?).