[Stackless] For interested - an interlacing compiler for C that allows continuations

Paul Sheer psheer at icon.co.za
Sun Sep 8 10:05:04 CEST 2002

> Yes, if you brute-force it and convert everything.

my compiler already optimizes by searching for continuations:

- functions not containing continuations are left as is.

- functions that call functions that do not contain
continuations are also left as is.

- statements that do not contain continuations are left
side by side as they were in the source.

- expressions not containing calls to functions that
have continuations are left as is.

and so on.

BUT it does require whole program analyses. for exmaple, any
functions which need to be considered must be present and
preceeding in the C file. Also, a file is considered as
a whole program. A global variable has to be placed in the
structure that represents the namespace for a tasklet,
hence all global variables must be seen by the compiler---
they must be declared within the same single source file.

-paul

Paul Sheer Consulting IT Services . . Tel . . . +27 (0)21 6869634
Email . . . psheer at icon.co.za . . . . . . Pager . . . 088 0057245
Linux development, cryptography, recruitment,  support,  training
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer . . . . http://rute.sourceforge.net
L I N U X . . . . . . . . . . . .  The Choice of a GNU Generation