[Stackless] tasklet vs. taskoutlet function

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Tue Sep 17 12:12:13 CEST 2002

Håvard Engum wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am quite new to Stackless Python, and I am having some problems using
> the newest version of it.
>
> Earlier, you could make new tasklets from the taskoutlet function like
> this(simpleAgent is here a plain function):

> And then you would have a list of references to tasklets in the
> list agents. You could then insert the tasklets into the scheduler and
> then switch between them.
>
> I grabbed the newest version of Stackless from the CVS-repository. There I
> didn't find any taskoutlet function, but just a tasklet-function that
> doesn't behave the way the old taskoutlet function did.

Yes, the taskoutlet was overkill. I dropped it.
You are right: Tasklets don't produce series of
bound tasklets at the moment, they are bound once.
I'm going to add a spawn() method to them which
will produce a new tasklet, whether the old one
is bound or not.
For the moment, you just rewrite it as:

def factory: return stackless.tasklet(simpleAgent)

agents = [factory(i) for i in range(numAgents)]

> My question is how to make a queue of tasklets with the new version of
> Stackless Python, and then switch between these.
>
> Do there exist any quite updated documentation on Stackless Python? I have
> searched the net, but I haven't found much.

Absolutely nothing but the __doc__ strings yet ;)

this-is-bloody-alpha-code - ciao - chris