[Stackless] 1 nano meter close to Stackless 3.0 final

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Tue Aug 19 03:34:32 CEST 2003

Hi Friends,

besides the fact that there is the problem to port Stackless
to Python 2.3 -- (this *has* to be done, ASAP):

Besides thread pickling, which *is* implemented, one goal
was to re-enable microthreads in Stackless 3.0, and the
only missing spot for this is auto-scheduling, as an option.

Richard Emslie has done a nice implementation coupla weeks
ago, which I temporarily checked in as a subfolder
stackless/emslie tonite, for reviewing.

I'd like to encourage interested people to discuss this issue:
Especially, what should the interface be?
First of all, I want to get this implemented ASAP, to be able to
name the thing Stackless 3.0.0 final, to get this off the door.
Stackless 3.0 is overdue, and much more ready as people expect.

There are lots of possible refinements, where one thing is
a general scheduler object, which allows redefinition of
how to schedue, when to schedule, and what to schedule.
But this is most probably done the best, after we have a basic
thing running.
The implementation of such a thing is not that hard, but I would
just like to build a simple interface, which does not contradict
the later definition of a decent scheduler object. That means,
the current behaviour should also be the future behavior, as
a special case of the scheduler interface to be defined.

Those who are interested should have a look.

Please note, that Stackless is now available at:

CVSROOT = :pserver:anonymous at centera.de:/home/cvs
cvs co stackless

This cvs site is using ssh. If somebody would like to get
write access, please ask me for an account.

cheers - chris