[Stackless] Stackless ported to 2.2.3

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Tue Aug 26 18:10:20 CEST 2003

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 10:20  AM, Michael Hudson wrote:

> Framework builds have most of Python in a shared library.  This would
> explain the need for the DL_IMPORT/DL_EXPORT nargery.  The correct
> answer are 2.3's PyAPI_DATA, PyAPI_FUNC macros, but they are
> non-trivial to port to the land of 2.2.  It's probably not that hard
> to cobble something together that works for MacOS X, though.

Agreed.  Hence my patch (which I believe is correct -- if a data
stucture
is in an include file that is included in multiple places (that will be
put
in a library) then it should be 'extern').

> If you're on OS X you really want to be using 2.3, anyway, but if you
> also want stackless I'm not sure what you can do (well, paying
> Christian to port stackless to 2.3 would be a good start, I guess :-).

Yes - I'm aware of this as well.  I actually *do* have a working version
of 2.3 stackless (with the stackless back at "last_hardware_only") that
I have
been using (it also has the patch in question applied).  Also it has
a simple patch to to do free/auto scheduling of tasklets and I've been
using it successfully for months.  Let me know if anyone wants those
diffs.

However this is only a very small part of what is necessary to get the
Stackless "3.0" version up to python 2.3 since "3.0" involves a lot more
changes to the python core than the "last_hardware_only" version (which
only minimally impacts python).

-Jas