[Stackless] Stackless Portability

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Dec 30 10:34:09 CET 2003

On Dec 30, 2003, at 4:22 AM, Michael Hudson wrote:

> Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> writes:
>
>> On Dec 29, 2003, at 6:03 PM, Fred Frick wrote:
>>
>>> Is stackless known to work on any platform other than a Win32 PC? I
>>> am interested in determining if stackless is portable beyond the
>>> PC specifically to the PS2, Gamecube, and XBox. Linux and Mac
>>> portability would be great also but is not as important. I know that
>>> standard Python has been ported to the PS2 and Gamecube but I am
>>> unsure about stackless. My company is evaluating stackless for use
>>> in gaming but we must first determine its viability on these other
>>> platforms. Is anyone aware of any "gotchas" that would prevent
>>> porting stackless to the afore mentioned platforms?
>>
>> I know from experience that Stackless works on darwin-ppc (OS X) and
>> linux-x86.  I don't see any reason why Stackless wouldn't work on GC
>> (especially because stackless is confirmed working on 32bit PowerPC),
>> Xbox (because it's not really different than win32), or PS2 (well, I
>> don't believe anything in Stackless is particularly platform
>> specific).
>
> It still has little bits of assembly doesn't it?

I'm not sure, I'm a stackless user (well, more of a will-be-eventually
user) not a developer.  I don't have a GC dev kit, so I don't know what
it's calling conventions are.. but it's gotta be trivially close to
whatever works for darwin-ppc or linux-ppc.  Xbox has the same calling
conventions as win32, so that's going to work.  As for PS2, it would
take a qualified person a few hours at most to write the proper stub
(even without MIPS specific experience).  I could probably be convinced
to do it, I do have a PS2 w/ linux kit collecting dust here.

-bob