[Stackless] Tasklet/Channels Examples

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Wed Feb 5 17:33:18 CET 2003

Rodrigo Senra wrote:

>  To catch up, I've downloaded the mailing list archive (mbox)
>  and started reading the 600 msgs (maybe the 14th herculean task).

This is a waste of time.
Stackless 1.0 was abandoned around January/February
last year, so you can move over 500 msgs
into another folder.

>  1) When and why continuations went out of picture ?
>     (I've already got the answer for that. It took
>      me some hours to follows months of discussion.
>      For me, it was like watching  a  developer's
>      soup opera, yet highly educative.)

Just have a look at the web page on http://www.stackless.com/
where you find the entry
19-Jan-02 Stackless Python is DEAD! Long live Stackless Python

Continuations are dead since then.

(ok, I see the page needs an update, *urgently*)

>  2) How the current tasklets work and relate to former
>     uthreads/micro-threads, generators/co-routines built
>     up from continuations (things like those in  Gordon's
>     tutorial).

Tasklets slightly relate to micro-threads.
It is possible to build an uthread-like module
using tasklets and channels. The only missing
spot until Stackless 3.0 is pre-emptive scheduling.

>     (Not quite sure if I can answer that, but maybe because
>      there are still 360 messages to read).

Stop reading. Use the date :-)

>  3) Why uthread link (in Fact Sheet section) leads to
>     a version incompatible  with  current CVS release.
>     ( Naturally, because of its *dependency* on the
>       now-gone-continuation module.  Shouldn't this link
>       be closer to Old Downloads instead ? )

The whole section is out of date. Will be removed,
thanks.

>  Please do not take this observations as critcism. I do know the
>  amout of works it took to get here. And I also know improving
>  documentation is in the plans.

Don't try to be polite. The documentation is crap,
and I have to re-work it, basta! :-)

I'm just a bit stuck with the 3.0 implementation.
Maybe I'd turn to documentation, relaxing a bit.

>  Nevertheless, I  have a few humble and low-cost suggestions:
>
>  - How about adding the content of  src/Stackless/test/tasktest.py
>    to www.stackless.com ?
>    In a section called :  "This is how its done at the moment". ;o)
>
>  - Perhaps also add the contents (or just part of it)
>    of src/Stackless/readme.txt
>
>  - Maybe add two paragraphs answering question 2)
>
>  - Do something about 3).
>
>  - Being a little bold: "How about starting a Stackless FAQ" ?

I am planning for a Stackless Wiki, ASAP.
The we can put all of the above plus more.

>  Those certainly would have helped me. I volunteer to get my
>  hands dirty (restricted to my limited knowledge) if somebody
>  tell me in what can I help.

Thanks for the offer, I will come back to it.

cheers - chris