[Stackless] Compatability with regular Python / Zope

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 1 00:49:12 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 18:41, Christian Tismer wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,

> > Zope and ZODB run fine with Python 2.2.3.  I would not recommend Python
> > 2.2.2.  Several of the bug fixes in 2.2.3 have a significant impact on
> > Zope.
>
> Do you think it is worth the effort to port Stackless to 2.2.3,
> or should I wait and just go for 2.3?
> Porting is no longer a cake walk, it is halfway as hard as with
> 1.0, dependant from how many deep changes were done in 2.2.3.

It's hard for me to answer.  Python 2.2.3 has a lot of bug fixes -- 66
that meritted some mention in the release notes.  I recall particularly
deep bugs in the garbage collector and in handling of weak references.
If you expect to support users on 2.2 for a while, I'd recommend doing
the 2.2.3 work.  It's a stable release, and people will probably take
some time to upgrade to 2.3.

On the other hand, the 2.3 final release is only about a month away.
It's got a lot of nice features and has some small performance
improvements.  I'd guess it won't be "stable" until 2.3.1.

Jeremy