[Stackless] EuroPython slides and stackless examples

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Sun Jul 6 20:11:49 CEST 2003

Hi Lutz,

> ater looking at the Europython line-up and your talk there
> http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/longer-stackless.html
> i think i missed a very interesting event :(

The event did not work out as exactly as I planned it.
We had hardware problems, and I spent lots of time
enternaining without slides, just answering questions.
Afterall, the presentation of EVE and TOMO worked,
but besides some five or so slides, I didn't use them
at all, therefore I thought not to publish them this
time. But I might do so.

> i'm very interested in you presentation about TOMO and the Eve Game.
> Are your slides available?

Well, I might give them an overhaul and publish them,
actually I said much more than what was in the slides.

> I would love to see more examples on stackless. I know you are very
> busy,though ;)

I'm in the progress of setting up a Wiki, adding examples,
maybe I will use the TOMO application and make a series of
snapshots, also of EVE...
I really want to make some rumor and get more users/companies
interested, so this is going to be my major effort for the
next two months.

> I would like to write my Diplom-Arbeit (like a master thesis, Chris
> knows that for sure ;) )
> on the integration of (Stackless) Python in Maya (the well-known 3d
> application from Aliaswavefront)
> so i'm very interested in python and its use in 3d environments .

Hey hey hey! This is most likely something that I'd like to
actively support.

> I want to start around September, so be prepared for silly questions ;)

Let's set up some meeting in my office
(10711, Heilbronner Str. 10, Fa. GraS)
so I can tell you all about it, explain everything,
mor than you can ever get from any slide show.

> Is Stackless ready for use? Or are there still some fundamental changes
> to come?

Basically, things are very settled.
There are a couple of refinements and simplification
in the works. Some are difficult, but the interfaces
will almost stay unchanged.
And after that's done, there will be new goals like
adding a CSP extension, in the longer term, handling
real threads, multiple processors, hyper threads...

...but all nothing that should stop anybody from using it
in applications, right now.

cheers - chris      (ruf mich an!)