[Stackless] Compatability with regular Python / Zope

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Mon Jun 30 16:31:57 CEST 2003

Hi Tom,

> I'm new to Stackless and currently evaluating the language for a fairly
> major project. My first issue is with compatibility.
>
> I've had a trawl around and have come up with this:
>
> * Stackless is fully compatible with pure Python code

Yes.

> * There may be problems with C extension modules.
> * Particularly if the C code calls back to python
>
> Is this right??

The latter *has* been a bit of a problem with tkinter,
for Stackless 2.0, due to it stack slicing.
Stackless 3.0 drops this feature, since it is no
longer necessary. 3.0 only switches stacks when
a tasklet is switched (and also only if necessary).

> In particular, my project will use ZODB, and possibly more of Zope. Will
> this be OK?

I have absolutely no idea whether Zope runs fine with
Python 2.2.2. Please make sure that it does, and after
that, try if it works with 2.2.2 plus Stackless 3.0
was well.
I'm pretty confident of the latter, then.

ciao - chris