[Stackless] The New Pickling Concept

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Apr 23 02:41:32 CEST 2004

Stackless pickling has got a complete re-write.
There is not any single type patched any longer.
Instead, all types have got a shadow type which
is living in the stackless._wrap module.

The wrapper types create a subtype of the real type when
invoked. On __setstate__, they set the real data (to avoid
deep recursion), and they set the real type. Afterwards,
just an innocent object of the target type exists, which is
not changed at all.

This is just an intermediate step towards the final solution.
I will now rewrite things, again, in a much more generic style.
Types-to-be-pickled will just have to provide a __reduce__
function and a __new__ function. The framework will make sure
that the __new__ actually takes place in the __setstate__ phase.
With that concept, we will have no problems with recursive objects.

I think this is worth a lightning talk at Europython.

ciao - chris