[Stackless] how to check for C stack?

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Tue Feb 24 18:22:12 CET 2004

Kristjan wrote:
> > We're shipping products using an existing codebase, so the point is
> > that there
> > is no real reason for us to upgrade right now, it's just a risk.
>
> I can sure understand Giovanni´s point, having previously worked in a company
with slightly more rigid processes.
> The thing is that in a professional environment, one doesn´t have free hands.
Often projects are frozen so that individual
> changes have to be approved on a case by case basis.  It simply isn´t up to
you, but a decision made higher up.
>  Management isn´t willing to risk affecting stability with a version upgrade
of a critical component that isn´t broken.
> I suspect that the issue is not so much with stackless here, as with python
itself.  Bleeding edge sure is fun, but it´s
> the tried and tested that earns you money.

Sure, but I don't see Christian disagreeing with Giovanni's request at all - I
don't think anybody does. As I see it, the problem is that his company is
asking Christian to do extra work he's not really interested in doing, and
asking him to do it *for free*.

It's apparent that if Giovanni's company is willing to purchase a support
contract, then Christian is more than willing to accomodate their particular
needs and wants. (or, they could volunteer the time to apply patches to the 2.2
tree themselves)

-Dave