[Stackless] Re: Stackless 3.0 for Python 2.3: new binaries

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Feb 24 01:34:38 CET 2004

Gregor Lingl wrote:

> Christian Tismer schrieb:
>
>> New Win32 binaries have been uploaded to the Stackless website.
>>
>> Some compatibility issues with certain constructors
>> have been solved.
>>
>> Please let me know of any problems.
>>

> Trying seriously to find out how to use stackless and what it is
> good for ;-),

Alaaf, you are cheating, right?
You must have known, partially, last August. ;-)

> I stumbled just in the beginning. While I was able to
> execute some of my Python programs, among them Tkinter-programs
> and even recursive ones,
>
> (1) I was not able to use Stackless from IDLE:

>  >>> 3*4
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Python23\lib\idlelib\rpc.py", line 233, in asyncqueue
>     self.putmessage((seq, request))
>   File "C:\Python23\lib\idlelib\rpc.py", line 322, in putmessage
>     s = pickle.dumps(message)
> RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded

Yes, I tried this and I get the same problem.
Have to admit that I'm not a regular IDLE user.
Seriously, I have no idea what's going on.
Seriously, I have also no idea why Python must
try to pickle something, to compute 3*4 ???

Everything works with Python 2.2. I expect something
has changed dramatically with Idle, and there is some
compatability issue with all the new pickling support that
we had to add for Python 2.3. Eeek, how do I debug that!

> (2) I don't know where to put python23.exp (and what it is good
> for). Maybe this is the reason for problem (1) ??

Forget it. it is just a table of exported names which might help
with debugging.

ciao -- chris

p.s.: Stackless Sprint in Berlin: March 10-14, maybe one day less.