[Stackless] SystemError: error return without exception set

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Feb 10 05:04:42 CET 2004

On Feb 9, 2004, at 10:20 PM, Isaac wrote:

> Also, a seperate question about autoscheduling: If tasklets are
> blocked on I/O (i.e. a readline from a pipe, or a select call) are
> they still swapped out, or is that too low level of an operation for
> stackless to mess with? This is one of the main reasons for me to want
> autoscheduling, or would that be the appropriate place for an OS
> thread, or maybe some non-blocking polling action?

If something is blocked on I/O or in any other condition where python
bytecode isn't constantly being executed, your whole process (or at
least your real thread) is blocked.  Period.  You need to use
non-blocking I/O throughout, it doesn't need to be polling though (you
should really be using select).

Note that this is largely the same conditions for threaded python,
except if you release the GIL during a blocking C function (which is
usually the case, especially for I/O) then another thread gets a chance
to execute.

-bob