[Stackless] Re: Stackless API

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Feb 3 05:28:08 CET 2004

Esteban U. Caamano Castro wrote:
> Bob Ippolito wrote
>

>>I think that exceptions on channels are more useful
>>than just closure
>>notification, but I think the implementation should
>>be changed to make
>>these exceptions travel out-of-band from the data.
>>
>>-bob
>

> I suppose by 'out-of-band' you are making the point
> that only send_exception(), and not send(), should
> raise at the other end. If it's that, then it's fine;
> everyone seems to agree.

Ok! Now after I undertand exactly what people want,
I actually *am* interested in implementation bints :-)

> Now, *implementation wise* I think it's advisable that
> exceptions which are meant to explode actually travel
> along with the data. This sounds like the simplest way
> to make sure that they will get appropiately queued.
>
> My assumption is that if the channel has 3, 2, 1
> waiting to be sent, and you send_exception(*boom*),
> you should get 3, 2, 1, *boom* at the other end. This
> is current behaviour.

Hrrmmm.
On thing could be to queue up tuples all the time, where
a second element in the tuple tells me whether to raise
an exception or not.
But that seems to make "normal" channel operation unnecessary
slow.
I gues that raising a bomb on a channels is not the most
common action unless you are the roadrunner coyote,
so maybe it would be most efficient to use a special
object as a marker flag? This object could be solely visible
to channels.
Other proposals?