[Stackless] Question about atomic

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu Jan 8 15:41:21 CET 2004

Tom Locke wrote:

> If, in a function, I do
>
> a = stackless.atomic()
>
> Then there will be no autosheduling until the object is destoryed, i.e.
>
> - at the end of the function
> - if I overwrite the value of 'a' or 'del a'
>
> Right?

Right.

> What about explicit scheduling points?

Nothing at all. This is only about auto stuff.
If your code decides to schedule, it must know what it does.

> If I do a channel send/receive while the atomic is in effect, is that
> ok? Will the sceduler de-schedule me as normal? From my experiments it
> seems the answer is yes.

Sorry? This has nothing to do with auto-scheduling, this
is all explicit, including channels. The auto-stuff is
about preemptive scheduling, which is not officially there, yet.

> What about when I am re-sheduled? Is the atomic status back in effect?

The atomic status is there until it is reset. It is per-tasklet.