[Stackless] What's SLP_HARDWARE_CLOCK for?

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Jan 28 04:03:01 CET 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> Looking around in Python/ceval.c, I see there's some #ifdef'ed code for
> SLP_HARDWARE_CLOCK.  However, I don't see anything in the configure
> script that could trigger this?

Yes, this is not finished.
At some time, I thought we would create a different
interrupt source, based upon some hardware clock feature.
I never got at implementing that.

There are also considerations to split up the whole
implementation in a way, that we can choose between
STACKLESS and STACKLESS_HW, where the first would
say we want to be stackless, but soft-switchign only,
and the letter would say that we support hardware
stack switching, like it is supported now.
I'n not sure about that.

There is a third thing to consider:
Friends of mine, among them Armin Rigo, proposed to
do a hardware but generally working solution
using setjmp and longjmp. I would like to have the
time to do some implementation of that and check
how well it can work.

It depends a little of it sdoability, whether I want to
split into STACKLESS and STACKLESS_HW, or if there
are different ways. I fear I need more input and
can't decide such stuff alone.

thanks for taking so much care -- chris