[Stackless] scheduler?

stacklesspython at dfackrell.mailshell.com stacklesspython at dfackrell.mailshell.com
Fri Jan 30 00:14:54 CET 2004

>From Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> on 28 Jan 2004:

> >> Christian,
> >> Exactly what sort of input are you seeking?  Preferences for
> >> how to juggle tasklets of varying priorities?  Types of
> >> interfaces into the scheduler?  Built-in events that would
> >> cause a tasklet to be scheduled?
> >
> > Yes, all of that. Also discussion of the existing functions,
> > how they make sense and how they don't. I don't want
> > to blur Stackless with all kinds of stuff, but provide the
> > necessary basis to implement things upon, with time critical
> > things implemented in C.
> > But I need other people's thoughts on how to proceed.
>
> I would personally like to have sub-watchdogs.  For example, if I have
> a group of tasklets A and a group of tasklets B, I would like the
> capability to run ONLY tasklets in group A (and whatever tasklets they
> cause to be run directly), while still maintaining the ability to
> interrupt if the process takes too long (basically so I can time slice
> separate "processes" that need exclusive access to the same resource,
> in this particular case it's sys.stdin/stdout/stderr).
>
> I'm not sure if this is possible with tasklet.insert()/tasklet.remove()
> games.. as I haven't tried that yet.
>
> -bob

This is actually similar to one of the main hopes I have for stackless.  If I ever get around to it, I want to create a collaborative development environment similar to what is seen in the old Multi-User Dungeons (MUDs), and having the ability to time out a tasklet after X time and either terminate it or allow it to finish later would be a great blessing.

Scheduling/rescheduling based on i/o, timer events, gui events, manually, all together is my highest hope.  Maybe there's a Python package that already provides something similar, but if so I haven't found it.

Daniel