[Stackless] About the Greenlet module

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Jul 2 02:45:29 CEST 2004

Mijhail Moreyra wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been testing the "greenlet" module and I'm very
> interested in it (mainly because it can be used with
> standard Python), but I'd like to know how much stable it is.

I haven't done much testing. Is is alpha code.
It is nice that it can be used with standard Python.
At the same time, it is platform dependant, the only
way to do an "orthogonal" approach of thread-less task
switching at all.
There is also a thread-based demo implementation of
greenlets, which is not hardware dependant, but has
the same ineffiency as thrads always have.

> I had problems with it under some circumstances,
> but I managed to find a fix.
>
> Is anyone developing it?

It is Armin Rigo's attempt to enhance my hardware
switchign code, as a minimalist approach.

> Are there any serious problems with it that
> prevent it from being used?

Parts of it will go into Stackless. I will never
use it in production code as-is, since it is
always doing stack manipulations to switch tasks,
which works, but the real efficienc can only be
achieved with a collaborative interpreter.
This is what Stackless does.

> I would like to see a release of it.

I don't support it personally. Ask Armin Rigo.

ciao - chris