[Stackless] Replacing regular Python

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Tue Mar 16 12:00:42 CET 2004

On 15-mrt-04, at 20:42, Dinu Gherman wrote:

> Christian Tismer:
>
>> Guyren G Howe wrote:
>>
>>> Forgive me: I'm still learning my way around Unix.
>>> OS X: I've done make install. How do I now persuade my Mac that the
>>> command python should execute Stackless?
>>
>> Sorry, no idea. In a while, Bob will probably make his
>> own distribution with an installer. The same will happen
>> for Windows.
>> Passing this on to the Mackies in the developer group:
>> Bob, Dinu?
>
> I think Bob is enjoying the nightlife of A'dam, something he might
> have missed in Berlin... ;-)

He's definitely without a permanent internet connection at the moment
:-)

> Well, if you want to completely replace Apple's Python in /usr/bin
> you can configure a Stackless built using ./configure --prefix=/usr
> before compiling it with make install.

BUT DO NOT DO THAT.

Sorry about the shouting, but you really, really should not replace the
default python interpreter. Any upgrade of OSX could silently undo you
changes, and replacing /usr/bin/python by a stackless interpreter might
introduce problems into existing scripts.

IMHO'd be better of installing stackless in some other directory and
place that directory early in you PATH (either in ~/.profile or in
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, the latter has the advantage that GUI
programs see the changes as well).

Ronald
--
X|support bv            http://www.xsupport.nl/
T:  +31 610271479       F:  +31 204416173