[Stackless] Replacing regular Python

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Mar 16 15:52:49 CET 2004

Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> writes:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>
>> On 15-mrt-04, at 20:42, Dinu Gherman wrote:
>>
>>> Well, if you want to completely replace Apple's Python in /usr/bin
>>> you can configure a Stackless built using ./configure --prefix=/usr
>>> before compiling it with make install.
>> BUT DO NOT DO THAT.
>> Sorry about the shouting, but you really, really should not replace
>> the default python interpreter. Any upgrade of OSX could silently
>> undo you changes, and replacing /usr/bin/python by a stackless
>> interpreter might introduce problems into existing scripts.
>
> Any new software might introduce problems, and Stackless does some
> changes to some type names, which have been a showstopper in
> some badly written tests and some bad type checks with "is"
> in Plone.
> We are going to remove these changes and do pickling with an extension
> modules, so that these incompatibilities will vanish, soon.

No no no... on OS X, the 'party line' is to not replace the Python in
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework *at all*, not even with a
self-compiled Python of the same version.

This is something quite different from having Stackless pop up when
you type 'python' into a Terminal.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I have a feeling that any simple problem can be made arbitrarily
  difficult by imposing a suitably heavy administrative process