[Stackless] Replacing regular Python

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Tue Mar 16 16:16:54 CET 2004

On 16-mrt-04, at 16:10, Christian Tismer wrote:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
>
>> Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> writes:
>
> [over-writing the standard interpreter]
>
>> No no no... on OS X, the 'party line' is to not replace the Python in
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework *at all*, not even with a
>> self-compiled Python of the same version.
>> This is something quite different from having Stackless pop up when
>> you type 'python' into a Terminal.
>
> And what happens if you install a new Python version?
> I understand what you are saying, but I don't understand
> why it is so. Does the framework stuff crash if you
> replace Python?

Probably not, but who knows what Apple has done to Python. They seem to
use a stock Python 2.3.0 (its part of Darwin), but you never know.
Someone may also (unknownly) rely on a bug Python 2.3.0 that was fixed
in a later version. Etc, etc.

And as I wrote before, because Python is part of the OS apple might
replace (parts of) the standard python distribution with an software
update.

Ronald
--
X|support bv            http://www.xsupport.nl/
T:  +31 610271479       F:  +31 204416173