[Stackless] Replacing regular Python

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Mon Mar 15 20:42:23 CET 2004

Christian Tismer:

> Guyren G Howe wrote:
>
>> Forgive me: I'm still learning my way around Unix.
>> OS X: I've done make install. How do I now persuade my Mac that the
>> command python should execute Stackless?
>
> Sorry, no idea. In a while, Bob will probably make his
> own distribution with an installer. The same will happen
> for Windows.
> Passing this on to the Mackies in the developer group:
> Bob, Dinu?

I think Bob is enjoying the nightlife of A'dam, something he might
have missed in Berlin... ;-)

Well, if you want to completely replace Apple's Python in /usr/bin
you can configure a Stackless built using ./configure --prefix=/usr
before compiling it with make install.

Otherwise the default should be, as with normal Python, to install
it in /usr/local/bin which you might need to tell your shell about.

On Jaguar the default shell is tcsh. If you use that you need to add
a line in ~/.tcshrc like the following somewhere at the top:

setenv PATH "${PATH}:/usr/local/bin"

On Panther the default shell is bash and you need to edit a file
like ~/.bashrc or so, which doesn't use the same setenv command
syntax, but you better look this up somewhere in the bash man
pages...

Hope that helps,

Dinu