[Stackless] Replacing regular Python

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Mon Mar 15 20:42:23 CET 2004

Christian Tismer:

> Guyren G Howe wrote:
>> Forgive me: I'm still learning my way around Unix.
>> OS X: I've done make install. How do I now persuade my Mac that the
>> command python should execute Stackless?
> Sorry, no idea. In a while, Bob will probably make his
> own distribution with an installer. The same will happen
> for Windows.
> Passing this on to the Mackies in the developer group:
> Bob, Dinu?

I think Bob is enjoying the nightlife of A'dam, something he might
have missed in Berlin... ;-)

Well, if you want to completely replace Apple's Python in /usr/bin
you can configure a Stackless built using ./configure --prefix=/usr
before compiling it with make install.

Otherwise the default should be, as with normal Python, to install
it in /usr/local/bin which you might need to tell your shell about.

On Jaguar the default shell is tcsh. If you use that you need to add
a line in ~/.tcshrc like the following somewhere at the top:

setenv PATH "${PATH}:/usr/local/bin"

On Panther the default shell is bash and you need to edit a file
like ~/.bashrc or so, which doesn't use the same setenv command
syntax, but you better look this up somewhere in the bash man

Hope that helps,

Stackless mailing list
Stackless at stackless.com