[Stackless] Stackless and Psyco

Mellon Gibson bsdbeast at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 21:34:31 CET 2004

--- Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:
> Aaron Watters wrote:
>
> > Just curious: are you using kjbuckets with gadfly?
> > That could make around a 10x speed difference for
> > database intensive code (stackless or not)
> depending
> > on the kinds of queries you do.
> >  -- Aaron Watters
>
> Oh, right, that makes a huge difference!
> First, I'd make sure to use the extensions,
> then an analysis of the SQL statements
> should be done to look for optimisation.
> Both Aaron and I are happy with some contract work.
> :-)

Who wouldn't be :), but I'm not the one pulling the
strings, I'm just happy that Python was offered as a
language solution.
I have done all I can with what I know of GadflyB5,
but maybe I could do some funky stuff that would speed
things up if I used O9i or PGSQL; I though GadflyB5
would be nice, to have complete solution in Python.
(We're also using Pyro for some things btw.)

> > */Mellon Gibson <bsdbeast at yahoo.com>/* wrote:
> >
> >     I can't get psyco to work with stackless,
> which is pretty critical
> >     for my application, as it's a tad bit too slow
> right now (about to
> >     11% speed improvement would suffice to serve
> all clients instead of
> >     buying new hardware). Both the client and
> server classes are
> >     designed around GadflyB5, which needs some of
> the 30% speed
> >     improvements I had with just vanilla python
> and psyco, but then the
> >     server tasks become too slow because of the C
> stack fumbling that
> >     vanilla python does. Are there any plans to
> support psyco, is it too
> >     much work? I'm not very fond of the idea to
> buy brand new SMP
> >     hardware to support just 300 more clients.
> /beast
>
> Hmm, I appreciate that you want to use Stackless,
> but
> I don't see how this could make your program faster.
> The overall C stack fumbling is almost the same as
> in
> regular Python, just that I do less recursions.
>
> And if you application needs 30% speedup from Psyco,
> you are still about to loose with just a bit more
> clients.

True, but we do not plan to cover more than the subnet
addresses we have to our disposal. If they get more
machines, great, but then they can buy a new server as
well.

/beast