[Stackless] Stackless and Psyco

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Mar 1 16:09:24 CET 2004

Aaron Watters wrote:

> Just curious: are you using kjbuckets with gadfly?
> That could make around a 10x speed difference for
> database intensive code (stackless or not) depending
> on the kinds of queries you do.
>  -- Aaron Watters

Oh, right, that makes a huge difference!
First, I'd make sure to use the extensions,
then an analysis of the SQL statements
should be done to look for optimisation.
Both Aaron and I are happy with some contract work. :-)

> */Mellon Gibson <bsdbeast at yahoo.com>/* wrote:
>
>     I can't get psyco to work with stackless, which is pretty critical
>     for my application, as it's a tad bit too slow right now (about to
>     11% speed improvement would suffice to serve all clients instead of
>     buying new hardware). Both the client and server classes are
>     designed around GadflyB5, which needs some of the 30% speed
>     improvements I had with just vanilla python and psyco, but then the
>     server tasks become too slow because of the C stack fumbling that
>     vanilla python does. Are there any plans to support psyco, is it too
>     much work? I'm not very fond of the idea to buy brand new SMP
>     hardware to support just 300 more clients. /beast

Hmm, I appreciate that you want to use Stackless, but
I don't see how this could make your program faster.
The overall C stack fumbling is almost the same as in
regular Python, just that I do less recursions.

And if you application needs 30% speedup from Psyco,
you are still about to loose with just a bit more clients.

cheers - chris