[Stackless] Stackless not picking up my regular Python path

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue May 4 20:28:16 CEST 2004

On May 4, 2004, at 1:57 PM, Guyren G Howe wrote:

> Forgive the idiot question.
>
> But I have stackless installed on OS X. I can do, say, this:
>
> from wxPython.wx import *
>
> in my "regular" Python, but not in stackless. Presumably, stackless is
> not picking up my Python path.

Even if Stackless did have that wxPython in its sys.path, it would
crash on import with a Version Mismatch error.  This is because the
extension bundles are directly linked to a SPECIFIC (as in precise
on-disk location) Python framework and that SPECIFIC framework gets
loaded at runtime even if there is an otherwise suitable Python
framework (such as Stackless) already loaded.  You will need to
recompile any Python modules you use for Stackless on OS X.

Even though the Stackless ABI is compatible with Python's, the way
extensions are linked on OS X with current versions of Python does not
support what you want to do.  This may change in a future version of
Python, but the only correct way to do such linking requires Mac OS X
10.3 or later anyways, so if you want to support 10.2 then you should
get used to recompiling things.

-bob