[Stackless] Other platforms

Stephan Diehl stephan.diehl at gmx.net
Thu Oct 28 13:59:21 CEST 2004

Hi Francis,

On Thursday 28 October 2004 12:58, Francis Meyvis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There was once pippy: a modified python that ran on the palm by limiting
> its usage of the stack. If I understood it correctly, stackless python
> uses a new concept to achieve stackless operation but it only runs on
> win32?

Fortunatelly, you are mistaken. It will run on every platform, Christian had
some access to. It will run at least on win32, linux x386, MacOSX (probably
sparc as well, not sure).

> I follow stackless python's mailing list for a while hoping to
> see some day a report from someone succeeded converting python 2.3.4 for
> the palm (ARM based on). Will this ever be the case? Is it because
> stackless's core depends a lot on 1) assembler files for pentium and 2)
> the win32 OS?

It is true that stackless depends on some assembler, but actually just a
handfull of operations for every platform.

> Exactly what are the benefits from having it run on win32?

See above, there are no benefits at all.

> I guess it is not just speed or stack usage because PC getting faster
> and have more ram than most users can consume. Is is rather a study
> concept? If it only runs on win32 (though, even faster, leaner), I guess
> it will not replace the multi-platform cPython?
>
> Thanks for you insight,
> francis

Hope that helps

Stephan