W.: W.: Re: [Stackless] problem with Plone (in Zope) and stackless python

taskless at arcor.de taskless at arcor.de
Wed Oct 27 11:23:28 CEST 2004

Hello Serge,

I am afraid you are on the wrong track trying to fix a ZOPE threading
problem by running it on Stackless.
The benefit of the extra parallelism provided by Stackless is available
only to aplications written for Stackless, i.e. using stackless.tasklet
and stackless.channel objects. Zope, although theoretically could run on
Stackless Python, to my knowledge, was not written to use tasklets and
channels. As such, it would not benefit from Stackless at all. (Unless you
plan to write some Zope products which do use tasklests, but even then
the benefits are limited to the code you write, which probably runs for a
fraction of the time only, so it probably is not worth doing that.)

Instead, I recommend to read (if you have not read yet) the article

    http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/solaris

and to try to compile Zope/Python with the so called "bound
threads".

Regards

Denes