[Stackless] What is stackless now?

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu Aug 18 03:31:23 CEST 2005

Grant McDonald wrote:

> Kai,
>
> They could be referring to the work armin rigo did with greenlets on the
> pypy project. From what I understand the idea is to redo stackless using
> pypy principles once they get their code generation working
> correctly.... i could be wrong... just my $0.02

Well, "redo" is not covering it really.
Stackless is at some limit, because to make it really
perfect, Iwould have to change the C calling strategy,
instead of patching CPython all the time.
CPython's Stackless never cango beyond certain limits,
or CPython would have to be rewritten, completely.

And that is what just happens, and why I'm in the PyPy
project. Actually, PyPy was my answer to the problems
to make Python Stackless:

If Python does not incorporate Stackless, then there is
only one way besides giving up: Write a new Python.

That's it. Will take a few more years to become perfect.
Until then, I need to finda way to keep Stackless alive.
I'm happy that I seem to get help!

ciao - chris