[Stackless] What is stackless now?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jul 13 02:08:58 CEST 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 1:37 PM, stackless at kaishaku.org wrote:

>>> Is stackless currently a CPython module or CPython patch?
>>>
>>> And, where do I get it? I see much conflicting information.
>>>

>> Neither, it's a fork (though technically you could make a big patch
>> out of it).  You get it from stackless.com.
>>

> That's what I always thought. There seems to be a growing number
> of people who believe it is a module, and a growing number of
> people who believe those simply because they are who they are.

Well, they're wrong.  They're probably referring to greenlets, which
is something Armin whipped up at the stackless sprint last year.
Greenlets are effectively the "hard switching" (C stack mangling)
that Stackless does, but refactored into a Python module that can be
used from a stock CPython.  With greenlets, you can get a small
portion of the useful functionality present in Stackless, but it's
rather experimental; I certainly wouldn't be putting greenlets
anywhere near production code.  Stackless, on the other hand, is very
stable and reliable.

> Any idea what they might be thinking? I've heard stackless was
> once a fork/patch supporting continuations and is now a module
> supporting CSP (not CPS). I only know it as a fork/patch.
>
> Some even mention the Eve Online developer(s) eagerly 'switched' from
> some old fork/patch 'stackless' to some new non-fork/patch
> 'stackless'.

This is all true.

> As for getting it from stackless.com, are you sure this is the
> latest and greatest available? What is the 'slpdev' cvs checkout?
> Is it the same as 'stackless'?

Yes I am sure.    If you follow the CVS checkout instructions on
stackless.com, you will get stackless.  The "stackless" path is a
symlink to the latest version, the slpdev paths are for obtaining
some specific version of Stackless.  Currently, "stackless" points to
slpdev/src/2.3/src, but that will change when Stackless is ported to
Python 2.4 (or 2.5, ...).

-bob