[Stackless] OS X compilation errors.

Paul Berman pberman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 23:07:58 CEST 2005

I'm having a lot of trouble getting stackless to compile on my machine
(a dual 450mhz G4 'sawtooth', under Tiger with all current upgrades),
and so passing I'm passing along the errors and hoping for help. For
what it's worth, I use darwinports for my python and its modules,
although I don't think this is effecting the compilation.

When I check out a copy of the 2.3 source, cd to the directory with
the source, do configure, and finally make, I get this:

./Stackless/slp_transfer.c: In function 'climb_stack_and_transfer':
./Stackless/slp_transfer.c:62: warning: implicit declaration of
function 'alloca'
./Stackless/slp_transfer.c:62: warning: incompatible implicit
declaration of built-in function 'alloca'
./Stackless/switch_ppc_macosx.h: In function 'slp_transfer':
./Stackless/switch_ppc_macosx.h:44: error: PIC register 'r31'
clobbered in 'asm'

Adding a prototype for alloca and removing 'r31' from the list of
registers gets the compilation to continue for awhile, but then I get
this:

sem_init: Function not implemented

40ish times, preceded by a mixture of the above and messages like:

sem_trywait: Bad file descriptor
sem_wait: Bad file descriptor

sem_trywait: Bad file descriptor
sem_wait: Bad file descriptor
sem_post: Bad file descriptor

all while executing

gcc  -u __dummy -u _PyMac_Error -framework System -framework
CoreServices -framework Foundation -o python.exe \
                Modules/python.o \
                libpython2.3.a -ldl
case $MAKEFLAGS in \
*-s*)  CC='gcc' LDSHARED='gcc  -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup'
OPT='-DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes' ./python.exe -E
./setup.py -q build;; \
*)  CC='gcc' LDSHARED='gcc  -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup'
OPT='-DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes' ./python.exe -E
./setup.py build;; \
esac

after which the build halts. Any idea what is going on here, and how
to get the build to complete?