[Stackless] Pickling Microthreads

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Sep 14 04:22:48 CEST 2005

Ásgeir Bjarni Ingvarsson wrote:

> Actually he's using something that I put together based
> on http://willware.net:8080/uthread.py
>
> It can be found here
> http://chronos.rst.is/stuff/uthread.py
>
> It's mostly untested, that's why I haven't published it
> or updated the comments.

Interesting!

I thimk we should discuss how microthreads should be supported
(if they should?) in the future. I'd also like to discuss
what the proper stackless interface should be in the future.
I think tasklets/threads are doing a bit to much with their
predefined chained behavior, which I thought to be minimum
at some time, but it is not.

Currently there are greenlets, which in some sense have a cleaner
interface, because they don't expose a real one at all.
They are an extreme example of what is doable if the environment is
completely unsupportive and orthogonal. In a way, the are the real
essence of Stackless 2.0.

I like that Greenlets are existing, since they show a real corner
case. I also like their elegance of the uderlying theory, which
is almost twice as elegant as my implementation in Stackless 2.0.

Anyway, I consider this branch of task switching more or less
dead since a couple of years. Real performance is only possible
with collaborative scheduling, which is much more evolved and
which takes a lot of interpreter changes to be useful.

Please support me with pushing this development further.
I want to port Stackless to Python 2.4.1, ASAP!

ciao - chris